Final Reflection

I really enjoyed this class, and overall got a lot out of it. Something that I thought was great about this class was that we were required to set up and maintain our own domain. I really benefited from the opportunity to buy my own domain and build it. I never really knew how to do that before, and I think it’s a really useful thing to know given how much of our lives are on the internet. It also gave me more of a sense of contribution and ownership over my story. Instead of simply contributing to a class blog, like I do in many other classes, I had my own space that I modified, and only my posts were on the website.   Over the summer I think I will spend more time actually working on my domain, something I didn’t really have time to do during the semester.

I thought the assignments and projects we had in the class were useful and beneficial in learning about the wide array of tools on the web. I would have preferred it though if we had done all of the small projects at the beginning of the semester, so we were familiar with all the tools, and then started to work on our digital stories. That way we would have experience and knowledge about the kinds of things available to use for our story. It might have even changed what I decided to ultimately do as my digital story had I been introduced to some of the tools first, like the screen casting tool. I think the video editing and the audacity projects were really worthwhile, but I found some of the projects to be repetitive, like the 4 frame story and then the movie in six frames. I saw the value of the assignments, but they were very similar and I didn’t see much of a difference between them.

As far as my digital story goes, I have mixed feelings. I really didn’t accomplish a lot of the things I originally intended to do with my story, like creating a band website. I think part of the reason for this was since I was living through my digital story, and I didn’t really think of it as something I also was responsible in class for. I also didn’t account for the possibility of band members fighting with each other (which happened periodically) and put a halt to the project. While I was filming everyone, I didn’t think of it as being for class, I just thought of it as me filming my friends, which happens a lot anyway. When I got down to editing the videos though, that’s when I really viewed it as a story and a project. I think that’s partially because some of the things in the video are exaggerated (if we told the real story of how we met it really wouldn’t be that exciting) and some things are just altogether not true. When I watch the videos, I don’t really see it as being the real life Fast Tom, just some sort of weird internet representation of us.

I also didn’t do quite as many episodes as I originally intended. Even still, I’m happy with the videos I made, and I had a lot of fun making them. I also had a lot of fun just filming my friends and trying to come up with how I was going to frame the story in the video. I definitely think there will be more Fast Tom videos next semester, as I had a lot of fun making them, and I really don’t think our story is over quite yet.

Published in:Uncategorized |on April 30th, 2010 |Comments Off on Final Reflection

Both comments and pings are currently closed.